Wednesday 9 July 2014

Soapbox Science Bristol and nearly a Zoologist Abroad once more



Hello all,

Well its been nearly a year since my last post on A Zoologist Abroad and for a good reason - I've not been fortune to venture off to exciting parts of the world with work since then.

But... that is all about to change. This week I am off to Australia to attend my first international conference - the International Union of the Study of Social Insects 2014. I will be presenting a poster and a talk about some of the work I have been conducting during my PhD. Whilst at the conference I will be reporting back on the goings of at this event as well sharing with you some great zoological photos and information I found out during my visit to the land down under.

Before I leave though I wanted share with you all a few photos from an event I took part in a few weeks ago - Soapbox Science Bristol. Soapbox Science is a science communication event which gets some of the UK's most talented female scientists onto Soapboxes to engage with the public about their work whilst also promoting the role of women in science.





My glamorous volunteers!
I must admit just before getting up on my soapbox my stomach was turning circles and I thought "what have I let myself in for" but the second I got up there are started talk about 'How to have a social life - lessons from the wasp' it was a real buzz and the hour just disappeared. My aim was to try and get people to think a little differently about wasps - they are not just creatures who sting and annoy us while sipping a pint at the pub or enjoying a picnic, but vital parts of every ecosystem. They pollinate plants, fantastic predators at removing agricultural pests - not only that but they have an amazing social life that we as humans can learn so much from. Apparently, two young teenagers were heard to leave the soapbox arena saying "wow, wasps are cool" - soapbox challenge completed!

So watch this space for the continuing adventures of a Zoologist Abroad once more.




Widgets

No comments:

Post a Comment