Friday 1 June 2012

My luck had to run out eventually!



My luck finally ran out today as I got stung (multiple times) for the first time by my wasps.

However I would like to point out that this attack was entirely unprovoked by me. It was not from a nest we are using with experiments as it is too big, it doesn't even have a nest ID! A "friendly" passing bird decided that it would pick today to attack a nest for its breakfast. The result of this was that a huge nest fell from the top of very high roof and landed on the entrance to one of the rooms I have a number of nests in. Not expecting to find a wasp nest on the floor I walked into room as normal and of course managed to stand directly on this nest! 





Obviously the wasp were not terribly happy and dive boomed for my legs where by two of them gave me a lovely simultaneous sting just above my ankle! Needless to say the nest did not survive the day (mainly as the number of wasps that had come off it would have seriously upset some experimental nest).

Although it stung at the time I managed to go for the rest of the day with out it hurting too much (although all the wasps I continued to work with for the rest of the day were particularly aggressive to me as they can smell the alarm pheromones let when a wasp stings on me!) However this evening I must admit I really am in rather a lot of pain!




But I would like to note that I went for a complete run of 61 days of working with live wasps before this happened!

Widgets

No comments:

Post a Comment