Tuesday 9 July 2013

Avispas hizo famoso - Micro Monsters 3D with David Attenborough




This weekend sees a special occasion in which my wasps are being made famous - Avispas hizo famoso! They will be appearing of the new David Attenborough documentary Micro Monsters 3D on Sky1HD and Sky3D.

I was lucky enough to go and spend 4 brilliant days with the production team behind this new programme filming my wasps using the most state of the art micro 3D camera. It was a wonderful few days and I was able to see some amazing footage and view so many close ups of my wasps which I had never been able to see before. They are even more amazing on a bug screen in 3D. Unfortunately, being away on field work I am not going to be able to see the programme when it airs this Saturday (13th of July 2013) so if any of you are lucky enough to be able to watch it I would love to hear your comments.  I shall look forwards to watching it on my return to the UK.

In the mean time here are some other photos of my wasps (possibly not as great as the ones that will be shown on Saturday!).

Whilst stopping and each my lunch next to the coast I noticed a hug number of wasps surrounding the large piles of drift wood which line it. So naturally my camera and I went to investigate and I found something really cool. The wasps are using this wood to build their nests. They land on the wood and strip small amounts, process it and take it back to the nests to add cells! Ive never actually seen them collecting nesting material in the wild before so a real find.






Widgets

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I found yours while searching for blogs on Zoology. My son, 18, too is passionate in Zoology, specially snakes and he stayed 7 days in one of the rainforests in Asia. Now he is writing a blog to share what he observed during his 7 days adventure.

    I found interesting photos in your blog and hoping to see more photos and articles in the future.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete